History – Doubleview Bowling Club
Founded in 1958, The View has been one of the most successful clubs in the state. The Club has maintained its position in the top rank since being named “Club of the Year” in 1991, and this is emphasised by our Men’s Premier League Division winning eleven metropolitan premierships, most recently in 2018.
Our honor roll of champions includes Bowls WA Hall of Fame Inductees Beryl Godrey, Dennis Katunarich, John Rainoldi, Robbie Ball and Lindsay Thorn. The clubs current player list includes several WA representatives.
New members and visitors from Australian or overseas bowling clubs are welcome to share the excellent facilities of the Club which apart from three turf greens and one all weather synthetic (carpet) green, include bar and TAB services, well equipped kitchen/dining facilities and a friendly relaxed atmosphere.
The Scarborough Sub Branch of the RSL held their meetings at the RSL Hall in Brighton Road, and on occasions a social gathering would be held at the old Lime Stone Pitts in Wembley Downs. In the Mid 1950s at these gatherings it was bandied around that the Sub Branch should consider forming a Memorial Bowling Club. Subsequently a meeting was convened to discuss the suggestions.
The meeting was held on April 15th 1958 in the Scarborough RSL hall. The meeting chaired by well known identity, Ted Edwards, voted overwhelmingly in favour of the formation of a bowling club to be known as the Doubleview Bowling Club (Inc). Prior to the meeting, the Perth Road Board had been approached for assistance in providing land and development. The Perth Road Board would not assist unless the bowling club was open to all residents and rate payers. Therefore the word Memorial was omitted from the name.
At the inaugural meeting nominations were called from those interested to fill positions of office. Those elected to the foundation committee were:-
President: H L Hall
Vice President: E Edwards
Secretary: R Hough
Treasurer: T Harrower
General Committee: A Bowe, J Green, A Brown, R Walker, E Varcoe and T Devlin
Members of the club were recruited from the RSL and surrounding district.
The committee had to raise 10,000 pounds towards development of the club. To raise these funds, a Fund Raising Sub Committee was formed. The funds were raised by holding dances in the RSL hall, running raffles, holding gaming afternoons and evenings, membership fees of one guinea and the sale to members of debentures.
The brick greenkeepers shed near D green was built through the generosity of a member and local builder, Norm Woolhouse with voluntary assistance from other members in the building trade. This shed was to become our original club house, being partitioned off with one half for the greenkeeper, the other half to house urns, cups, saucers etc. Unfortunately the keg had to be mounted outside on the paved area.
At the time the Club was being developed, some members had previously played bowls, many others had not. Those inexperienced players were given training on tennis courts in Brighton Road belonging to a member, Frank Symes.
In 1960 an affiliated Ladies Club was formed and officially opened in January 1961.
Some interesting facts about the Ladies Club:
- Edna (Daniels) Piggot, Fran Docking and Ella Reynolds were committee members in the inaugural year of the ladies club.
- In 1958 Betty Williams was awarded National Coach Level 1.
- Ella Reynolds became our first life member in 1981.
- Mary Mackie was President at the Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1983.
- In 1986 Beryl Godfrey represented Australia in the Commonwealth Games in Edinborough.
- In 1989 Ella Reynolds received the May Campbell Service to Sport Award.
- In December 1990 the RSL Bowls Carnival was held at DVBC. Over 1,000 meals were served!